It’s February which means that it’s a great time to focus on your heart; both in your relationships and your heart health! Heart health is an important topic and one that we should all be conscious of. Taking care of your heart is essential for living a long, healthy life. There are many things you can do to improve your heart health. Here are 5 ways to be more heart healthy:
- Exercise regularly. Regular physical activity improves your overall health and lowers your risk of heart disease. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity five days a week. *Want a great way to get started? Check out this free heart healthy workout.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet. A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins is key to keeping your heart in good shape. Limit your intake of processed, high-sodium, and high-sugar foods.
- Manage stress. Stress can have a negative effect on your heart. Make sure to manage your stress levels by doing things like yoga, meditation, or spending time with friends and family.
- Quit smoking. Smoking is one of the biggest risk factors for heart disease. If you smoke, make a plan to quit as soon as possible.
- Get enough sleep. Poor sleep habits can increase your risk of heart disease. Aim to get 7-8 hours of quality sleep each night.
By following these 5 tips, you can help keep your heart healthy and reduce your risk of heart disease. Remember to talk to your doctor about any other steps you can take to improve your heart health. For another great resource, try this FREE heart healthy workout!